Thursday 5 September 2013

Oh, Time Unlimited

Oh, if time were unlimited! I was drooling over the cooking channel and reveling in the idea of taking a cooking course. I love food and I am always concocting new dinners. But I really don't understand beyond the basic. Often my meal is a touch off. A little too much of this flavor. A little too runny. A little over cooked. A little bitter. Which is why I can't really experiment with baking. I would love to be able to freely bake and alter with the ability to substitute successfully and fix potential issues so I can have a healthy, edible result just the way I want it. But, first I have to work on not burning the grill cheese or over spicing the chili.

There are many things in life I'd love to invest time into. But I can't choose them all every day. If time were unlimited I would keep my home much cleaner, spend more time with friends, have frequent dinner parties, grow a big garden (mmmmm, maybe next year? I'm clueless), read many more books, and invest time into some things that I enjoy.

Paint. I would get some regular practice into my week. I would experiment with different mediums. I would finally produce an art piece for display in my home, which I promised my husband years ago. And maybe, I would try to sell some. Unfortunately, though, the idea of painting is always put to the side because I feel there is something more important to do with my time. Mentioning this, I almost thought of painting tonight! But... no. Painting is something I enjoy but I can't get myself to do without feeling like I am wasting time. How unfortunate.

Sing. Before having a child I used to belt out songs along with You Tube videos for hours on end. I didn't have to worry about waking someone at 11 at night. Last year I was in choir which had me committing to one day a week. I really enjoy music. But my busy day limits it to singing lullabies and children's songs with my baby. This is something I can easily change, especially since my child loves music. I must just choose to do it. Karaoke night. (Oh, I miss my step daughter!)

Write. I have been committing some time to writing since starting to blog. But then my introspective journaling has gone way down. Writing is one of those remedial things that I indubitably need. Especially when stresses come and I don't want to complain to others. Complaining has been a past issue for me that I would like to avoid. I'd rather get it out in a way that isn't going to hinder my relationships.

Travel. I truly love to get away with my family (even if the preparation clashes of spontaneous husband and organized wife stress me out). Getting away from the reminders of things undone at home. Away from the constant calls for my generous and industrious husband to help. Away from perpetual to-do lists. Away from inundating laundry piles. When we take trips I always fall in love with my husband all over again. I feel refreshed and refocused.

This year, unfortunately, is our first year together without a holiday. We haven't even gone to see any family. We did go to a wedding and camp for a few nights. I am glad we have the camper. But I look forward to our next opportunity to drive down unknown streets and check out tourist attractions or explore trails. We would love to take the dogs and camp the Oregon coast.

I told someone once that there is no such thing as not having time. The truth is not making it the priority. If I look at my day I see my priority first falls on my daughter, which is the most important. Then it falls on things like preparing home cooked food, walking the dogs, and housework. Some times I think if I just ate pre-packaged food and got rid of the dogs I'd have more of a life. But, I think these things really add value to my daughter's childhood. Momma just needs to learn efficiency. I really, really need to learn efficiency.

I try not to get distracted by things that aren't a priority. I don't watch TV even though I know I'm out of the loop on some things. I googled top TV shows and looked through some sites. One listed shows I knew nothing about. All of them listed shows I hadn't seen. My small exposure through my husband is News, Price is Right, the Food Network, and a few reality shows. For me, there is just too much other stuff to do.

Like get up in the morning and work out. I am very grateful for friends to meet with because that encourages me to get out when I would rather be lazy. So off to bed I go to prepare for an early morning. Maybe. Something else might pull at my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment