Sunday 17 November 2013

No Nap With Mom?

I just made an earnest attempt to get my daughter to join me for a cozy, snuggly Sunday afternoon nap. There was a time that, more often than not, this was the way it was. Whether she was cuddled close in bed next to me or asleep in my arms or a carrier as I went about the day. She is very snuggly. I think she was at least 5 months before she first slept alone.

But trying to get her to sleep anywhere but her room during the day has become difficult. The stroller doesn't happen anymore, as she wants to explore, so no more long walks with the dogs. At home, if I'm there she just wants to read or play, no matter how exhausted she has become. Oh, she'll snuggle. But there won't be any shut eye. After my jaw surgery we got a bit of down time together but eventually she starts playing and gets quite rambunctious. On days like today, I need her to sleep and don't want that second wind to kick in.

So I gave up trying and picked her up and put her in her crib. She called out to me a few times but then she was quickly deep down in dream land. 

And now, instead of just sleeping like I wanted to, I am trying to resist the indefatigable temptation to get up and consume some decadent chocolate (even though I already had some today). I was getting so good with not feeling like I needed sugar but now that I am on a liquid/soft diet I find my sugar consumption has increased. And, unfortunately, so have my cravings. Every day I want some ice cream or some chocolate melted with peanut butter (mmm, seeing those words makes it sound even more delicious). And I know the more I give in, the more intense that it gets. There was a time, when in my twenties I could first eat chocolate without a migraine, that I used to eat simply to stop an intense craving. Not for the purpose of enjoyment. I also know it's worse when tired. I'm tired right now. Not hungry.

And my daughter was very tired as well. I'm so glad she is asleep. She still sleeps in her crib during the day. (And with us at night. I don't know why she won't do it another way. How does she know the difference?) Her dad wants to give her the toddler bed. As I've mentioned before, I have concerns about that idea. Getting into things. Making a mess. Hurting herself. 

But in light of her needing certain conditions to sleep, I wonder if taking her crib away will end naps? Will she just grab another beloved book? Go for her toy box? Try to leave the room to play with mommy or daddy (or bring us said book)? I am actually quite certain this is what would happen. And so, she would get up and not nap. 

I've heard that when naps end it can be nice because then you don't have to plan outings around that necessary sleep. You can attend things at all times of day. And you have more time to plan bigger undertakings and trips. It sounds great. So I won't be upset when the time comes. 

I just don't want to make it happen prematurely. She is still quite a long napper. Two and a half to three hours is normal. Some days I even have to wake her because she'll go four hours. And the days she doesn't get one, it is always noticeable. She is more emotional. And less willing to push through when something is difficult. So I know she still needs them. I try to tell myself if she really needs them, they'll keep happening. She is only two. But I don't want to wreck what is working!

At this point, I've agreed that she could get her fun new bed for Christmas. That's just over a month away. Time will tell...

Now, time for a short nap. I'm good with half an hour naps. I don't need the 3. Man, that long and I'd be up until the wee hours of morning. Oh, wait, I often am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment