Friday 8 March 2013

"I YOU, DadEEE!

Time to brag on the father of my child. My husband is naturally developing a secure, loving, smart little girl because of his doting attention and affection. From day one he has been an absolutely amazing dad.

When I gave birth I lost a large amount of blood. I was weak and could not stand up. Daddy did all the diaper changes. He paced the halls with her for her first two nights, introducing her to a plethora of items she would be experiencing in her new world. "This is a flower." "This is a phone". I was worried he would overstimulate her but I know he set in motion her observing and her imagination. He had no problem devoting all of his time to his precious baby.

So, at two days old, when I finally changed a diaper, he exclaimed, "This is Mommy's first time changing you! I have been changing your diaper your WHOLE LIFE!!" He will be building her tolerance for corny jokes as well.

He continued to lavish her with attention, taking the first week of her life off of work.(He also took the week before her birth off as he couldn't concentrate. Good thing I wasn't way overdue.) He had no qualms about diaper changing, bathing, soothing her to sleep. His love for her glowed like a fairy tale story. He was always full of eye contact and had lively articulation in his voice and face. She followed suit by being very responsive and dramatic in her expression. She relishes each and every moment with her Daddy. Even if he simply carries her as he does errands or sits with her in front of the television.

They have their regular routine. They have cheerful wrestling and tickling matches in the evening, usually when she should be winding down for slumber. In the morning they walk the dog together before breakfast. They stroll with her in his strong arms while pointing out a medley of sights. Touching and sniffing nature. Listening to near and far sounds. She emphatically points at her surroundings, wonder upon wonder, and says, "Wow, wow, WOW!" to every new, and relived, discovery. When I watch in awe how quickly she notices a passing bird or a tiny butterfly, I give daddy credit. He perpetuated the blood flow to her brain and the messages flooding from her eyes, nose, hands, and toes into her constantly learning noggin.

Not only is she smart, but she is so affectionate as well. Pats on the back. Blowing kisses. Tight squeezes. Cuddles morning and night. Squinting with the eyes like a hug with her face. And her repetitive, "I YOU!" Throughout the day.

I look forward to their daddy-daughter dates. To him expanding his conversations with her as she learns to articulate. To watching them grow together and learn lessons from each other. To see them work out their misunderstandings and differences.

She'll easily understand her Daddy God in heaven loves her because she wont question the presence of paternal love in her attachment with her "DadEEE". Once again, he has taught me about the awesome power of love.

Who needs flash cards and educational shows when you've got a wonderful father to hold you tight and wholeheartedly share discoveries with?



1 comment: