Friday 20 September 2013

Here We Go Again

In a week I will be competing in another exciting obstacle course event. This one is called a Spartan. It is much shorter than my last event but also more intense as it is timed and any failed obstacles require doing thirty burpees. Yuck. In the Tough Mudder I only failed one obstacle. It wasn't a failure as I made it farther on the inclined monkey bars than I ever thought I would. I would have failed other obstacles without teamwork, but that is what we were there to do. Oh, I did fail three I guess, if you count being dragged out of a trench and a pipe as my hernia popped out. Team work.

A burpee is a push up springing into a jump in the air. A year ago just doing a few would literally make me puke. Literally. I tried frog jumping at power fit and the world spun. Now thirty is feasible, though not at a great pace. I feel confident and prepared enough for this event. I had overtrained for the last challenge and was happy with the result but struggled with being very cold and eventually losing all my arm strength. So I have been trying to focus on using my legs more. I can now climb an eight foot wall without too much strain on my arms. Though repeated attempts when mastering the skill really pulled my side muscles.

All of this may be of no interest to you. But I'm pretty stoked. I feel like a healthy person. An actual, for real, not faking-it healthy person. Who can continue to carry around my affectionate, 26 pound toddler.

Not like someone who lived unhealthy and is trying to change. Not like a couch potato who struggled with headaches. I no longer feel like I am battling constant weakness. I no longer fear hurting myself. I no longer feel like I am overcoming fibromyalgia. I no longer suffer constant tension. Though the first day I did thirty burpees was followed by a sick day as I regretfully couldn't move because I hurt from my fingertips up into my face, from my neck down my back. Even healthy people need to work into things.

Just imagine if I got enough sleep.

So, after Spartan my goal will be to train and cut my next year's Tough Mudder time. Maybe actually be able to do a few chin ups. Or, better yet, get my husband involved. He's not afraid of heights. He's the strongest man I know. He ran in school. He should have been the one doing this. I think it'd be a dream come true to have him there with me.

Don't most wives dream of exquisite romance? I dream of facing challenges and overcoming obstacles. Conquering fears and discovering potential. He got me to bungee jump. So now I have to get him running long distance. Sounds like a great challenge.

Hoo-rah!


No comments:

Post a Comment